Maintaining your commercial roof is essential to ensure its durability and functionality. Although flat roofs typically require minimal maintenance, regular inspections are necessary to keep them in good condition. You can save yourself a lot of money down the line by creating a maintenance schedule now. By taking good care of your roof, you might avoid expensive repair or replacement services in the future.
Here, we explain the importance of maintaining your flat roof and offer helpful tips to keep it functional.
Why Flat Roof Maintenance Is Valuable to Your Business
The life expectancy of a flat commercial roof is 20 to 25 years with proper maintenance. However, the roof size, weather conditions, installation procedures, and other factors can affect the lifespan. You must also perform routine maintenance to prevent premature failure.
Maintenance helps preserve the appearance of a flat roof, as well as its functionality. It locates minor damage before it turns into an expensive problem. You can avoid costly repairs by identifying issues early.
Manufacturer’s warranties often require commercial building owners to meet maintenance requirements to keep their warranties valid. Poor maintenance can void the warranty, requiring you to pay out of pocket for necessary services.
You should always document the condition of your roof during inspections. You might survey your flat roof from the ground, but it won’t give you the close-up view you need to discover all damage. However, climbing onto a roof is dangerous, even though the surface is flat and stable. You should consider hiring a professional to conduct the inspection for you.
Tips for Maintaining a Flat Commercial Roof
If you don’t already have one, find a roofing specialist and begin a consistent inspection schedule. Following a specific checklist during the inspection allows roofing contractors to assess every inch of a roof to avoid overlooking potential issues.
You can keep your flat roof in tip-top shape by following these maintenance tips:
- Schedule inspections – An essential tip to keep your roof in good condition is to schedule routine inspections. You might not always notice leaking water or cracked roofing materials. However, a semi-annual inspection can uncover these problems. Spacing each appointment at even intervals like the spring and fall ensures someone will constantly assess your roof after extreme temperature changes.
- Check the roof after storms – Severe storms can bring torrential downpours, strong winds, and lightning. Adverse weather conditions can affect a roof, leaving ponding water and debris build-up behind. You should inspect your roof after every severe storm to determine whether a roofing contractor needs to come by to remove leaves, unclog a drain pipe, or seal cracked flashing.
- Clean your gutters – Keeping your gutters clean is critical to allow water and moisture to drain away from your roof. Obstructions can form quickly and prevent water from passing through. Eventually, the water can start leaking into the building, leading to mold growth, flooding, and other problems.
- Avoid pressure washing – You might think pressure washing your roof will keep it clean and free of unwanted debris. However, high-pressure sprays can cause severe damage. The water can also remain on a flat roof, compromising the structure’s integrity. A roofing contractor can clean the roof effectively and safely.
- Check for leaking water – Water leaks can cause mold, weaken the structure of a building, and damage equipment. You should frequently look for leaks, especially after rain. Peeling roofing materials, stained ceilings, and discolored walls can indicate leaking water.
- Trim your trees – Tree branches hanging over a flat roof can create significant problems. Strong winds and storms can knock those branches down onto the roof. Cracks and holes can occur, exposing the interior areas to the outside elements. You should consider trimming your trees regularly to prevent damage from fallen branches.
How Texas Select Construction Can Help
Contact Texas Select Construction promptly if you notice signs of roof damage. We can fix the issue and prevent further damage with dependable repair services.
Join our Roof Asset Management (RAM) program for commercial property owners and get semi-annual inspections to maintain your roof and discover potential problems while your roof is still repairable. It can save you money, increase your roof’s lifespan, and prevent premature roof replacement. As a member of the program, your property will also be monitored and inspected whenever there is a hail or storm alert in your area, and we’ll keep an eye on the other things that keep your roof in perfect condition (like drains and gutters).
If you are ready to set up routine maintenance on your flat commercial roof in Fort Worth, call us at (817) 770-0744 today. We provide free inspections to determine the condition of your roof and advise you of a schedule suited to your needs. Texas Select Construction wants to help keep your roof in good shape.