EPDM Rubber Roofing for Commercial Buildings in Fort Worth
Your commercial building deserves a sturdy roof that offers the ultimate protection. At Texas Select Construction, we know the benefits of installing an ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) roof on your commercial building. It can increase your roof’s lifespan and protect your office from the outside elements.
However, choosing a roofing material can be challenging. There are so many options available. Your business is a massive investment, and picking the wrong type of roofing system can negatively affect operations. If you have questions, you should turn to a team of experienced and knowledgeable roofing contractors in Fort Worth. Call us for a free consultation today at 817-770-0744 to learn more.
An Overview of EPDM Roofs
Ethylene propylene diene monomer is a single-ply membrane comprised of ethylene and propylene. It provides long-lasting protection and durability for 20 to 30 years with proper maintenance.
A fully-adhered EPDM roofing system allows versatility and flexibility after installation. It’s available for multiple uses but is most effective on flat and low-slope commercial roofs.
EPDM roofing has these four layers:
- Elastomeric base layer
- Fire retardant middle layer
- Polyester fiber-reinforced top layer
- Optional while EPDM roofing top layer
With polyethylene reinforcements and fully-adhered fiberglass and vapor barriers, an EPDM roofing system can withstand the harshest conditions, such as hail storms, heavy rain, and strong winds.
EPDM roof membranes come in long and wide rolled sheets with three thickness options:
- 45-mil EPDM rubber roofing
- 60-mil EPDM rubber roofing
- 90-mil EPDM rubber roofing
Some manufacturers also provide EPDM membranes with a 75-mil thickness.
You must consider multiple factors when choosing the membrane thickness for your roof. An experienced specialist from Texas Select Construction can suggest which can meet your needs and offer the protection you want. Typically, the thicker the material, the more resistant it is to damage. You should use a thicker material if your commercial building is in an area with extreme weather.
EPDM membranes come in white or black. Enhancing the UV resistance of the material by compounding different ingredients determines the color. The manufacturer adds carbon black to make a black EPDM membrane and convert UV rays into heat. Titanium dioxide creates a white EPDM membrane to reflect the UV rays.
Installing EPDM is relatively simple when you hire an experienced roofing contractor. The first step requires cleaning the existing roof of dirt, leaves, and other debris. The contractor will lay at least one-half-inch polyisocyanurate boards and fasten them across the entire roof.
After laying the boards, the next step requires rolling out the membranes uniformly and folding them over themselves to apply a bonding adhesive. The adhesive keeps the membranes secure on the roof. Securing the membranes requires applying the adhesive carefully to ensure an adequate seal and avoid imperfections.
The contractor repeats this process until completing the installation on the entire roof. If it seems like a straightforward process, that’s because it is. You don’t have to worry about closing down your business for the day or interrupting normal operations to install a new EPDM roof.
Advantages of an EPDM Roofing System
An EPDM roof is one of the most cost-effective and durable roofing options for commercial buildings. Although it’s ideal for flat and low-slope roofs, it can also fit other types of roofs. The multiple benefits of EPDM roofing systems include:
- Cost-effective – Damage and structural failures are common with commercial roofs. However, rubber roofing has a design making repairs easier than other materials like metal roofing or shingles. Leaks and punctures require only seam overlays or seam tape and minimal tools to repair. The cost of your EPDM roof will depend on the thickness you choose, the size of your roof, and the duration of the roofing project. The material can range from $4 to $9 per square foot. However, due to the potential fluctuations in pricing, we cannot guarantee the price. If you are interested in using this material on your roof, contact us for a quote.
- Simple and efficient installation – Installing EPDM rolls is simple since they’re lightweight. The large size also covers more surface area in little time for faster installation.
- Improved energy efficiency – Fort Worth can experience scorching hot summers and frigid winter temperatures. With an EPDM flat roof system, the cost of cooling and heating is lower. The benefits are even more significant during warmer months if you choose a white EPDM roofing system. You can reflect sunlight and reduce the cost of cooling your building. However, if you want to lower heating costs, select a black EPDM roof to absorb heat from the sun and maintain inside temperatures.
- Durability and resiliency – Roofs suffer significant damage from fallen trees, strong winds, heavy rain, and snow. Adverse weather can leave leaks, punctures, and other issues that compromise the roof’s structure and wear out materials. A 60-mil or 90-mil EPDM membrane with an external fleece reinforcement and ballasted layer can mitigate the risk of weather-related damage better than lower-quality systems or thinner EPDM membranes.
- Longer lifespan – You want to extend the life of your roof with a durable and long-lasting material. EPDM can lengthen your roof’s lifespan if you choose the appropriate thickness and perform routine maintenance. You must also repair minor cracks and leaks to prevent additional damage and more costly repairs in the future.
Contact Texas Select Construction to Install Your EPDM Roofing in Fort Worth
While you can hire any roofing company to install, repair, and maintain your EPDM rubber roof, selecting one with the necessary experience and certifications is crucial. Texas Select Construction has a team of professional roofers who dedicate their time and attention to every project. We can install an attractive and durable EPDM roof to protect your commercial building from environmental factors and improve the look of your property.
We also have a Roof Asset Management Program for our commercial clients. We provide regular inspections to help you maintain the validity of your warranty and identify and repair any minor damage before it becomes a significant issue.
We use quality roofing materials and cutting-edge tools to do the job correctly. You will receive ongoing communication and guidance until the end. Call us at 817-770-0744 for a free consultation today to discuss EPDM roofing for your commercial building.
Other Flat Roof Material Options
If you are investigating options regarding materials for your flat roof, you may wish to consider some of the other materials we work with:
Hire A Team of Roofing Experts
You Can Trust